Registration & Visa - Pakistan Students Association | University of Duisburg-Essen پاکستان اِسٹوڈنٹس ایسوسی ایشن | یونیورسٹی ڈوئسبرگ ۔ ایسن

Go to content

Registration & Visa

New Comers > After Arrival

Registration with the local alien Authorities and Visa/Residence permit

After your arrival in Duisburg or Essen you have to apply for a Visa/residence permit and register your place of residence at the Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde). Usually, your visa is extended for one year. Subsequent extensions are granted provided that you are still a student and have enough funds to finance your studies. Contact the Foreigners Registration Office in good time (about 8 - 10 weeks) before your visa runs out in order to apply for the extension.
There are several branches of the Foreigners Registration Office in Duisburg and Essen. It depends on your place of residence which Office is responsible for you.
In Duisburg: Please contact the Foreigners Registration Office within one week after your arrival and make an Appointment:
Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday : 8 am - 4 pm (08:00-16:00), Friday 8 am - 12 pm (08.00 - 12.00)
Duisburg Address
Königstraße 63-65
47051 Duisburg
Email :
Essen Address
Schederhofstr. 45
45121 Essen
Tel.: 0201/ 88333 54/ 57

In Essen: Please take an appointment from Foreigners Registration Office within one week after your arrival. Appointment

Addresses of Foreigners Registration Offices in other towns are available from the web pages of respective towns: www.[name of the town].de

Following documents are required:

  • Valid passport, including your student visa
  • Two biometrical passport-sized photographs
  • Certificate of enrolment (you can ask for the certificate at the International Office when you enrol)
  • Proof that you have enough money to study and live in Germany (usually you bring proof in form of a bank statement. Please enquire about details at the German embassy in your home country when applying for your visa)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof that you have enough living space (at least ~12 m²)
    (your rental agreement gives that information)
  • Fee for first visa extension: ~100 €
  • Additional documents might be necessary depending on your nationality. Please enquire for the complete list of documents you need when you ask for an appointment.

Please keep the confirmation of registration (Meldebescheinigung) carefully. You may be asked to hand it in to confirm the opening of your bank account or also on other occasion (e.g. getting member card at a public library or a video rental shop).
If you live in Duisburg, do not forget to ask for the “Scheckheft für Neubürger in Duisburg” when you are registering with the Foreigners Registration Office. The “Scheckheft für Neubürger in Duisburg” is a voucher book that gives you free entry to a fine selection of sights in Duisburg. The fee for the voucher book is 2 €.

If your want to Change of Room / Address

Kindly note that if you move during your stay you need to inform the Local Resident Office (Bürgeramt/ Meldestelle) about your new address within one week after moving. This is also applicable when you move within the same town.
Local resident registration offices (Bürgeramt/ Meldestelle)

Documents to bring:

  • Passport
  • Rental agreement

Extension residence permit

Usually, students receive a residence permit for one to two years based on the student visa. The practices for further extension vary considerably depending on the individual Foreigners Registration Office (e.g. if you need an appointment or not). The best is that you already ask on the occasion of your first appointment with the Foreigners Registration Office about the renewal procedures.

Renewal of the residence permit depends on your study progress. You may be asked to prove your study progress in form of transcript of records or similar. In this way the timeframe of completing your studies are assessed.
For more detail visit website :

Back to content