Bank Account - Pakistan Students Association | University of Duisburg-Essen پاکستان اِسٹوڈنٹس ایسوسی ایشن | یونیورسٹی ڈوئسبرگ ۔ ایسن

Go to content

Bank Account

New Comers > Before Arrival

You can open a bank account at the bank of your choice. You should ask to open a giro account that comes with an EC-card so that you can benefit from cashless payment. Most banks offer special tariffs for students or even grant students a cost-free service. In some cases, you have got to make an appointment for opening an account.

You need following documents:

  • Passport

  • Student ID

  • Rental agreement

  • Registration card proving that you registered with the Foreigners Registration Office or (for EU citizens) the town Duisburg or Essen (if you already have it).                                                             

In case you have not yet finalised your registration with the Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) or town, you can show your lease contract in order to prove your address of residence in Germany.
It is advisable to open a bank account immediately after your arrival as many regular payments (e.g. rent, health insurance) require a German bank account. In addition, transfers from account to account save the fee for cash pay-ins.

Proof of sufficient financial means

  • Blocked account with a German bank in Germany, amounting to at least 7,908 €, marked with a special condition that only a sum of 659 € will be available every month.

  • formal obligation (declaration of liability) according to §§ 66-68 of the German Resident's Act.

  • German or foreign official scholarship



Block Accounts (Sperr Konto in German)

All foreign students from non-EU countries (eg Pakistan, China, Cameroon, etc.) have to pay for studying in Germany for their own livelihoods. Für die Einreise nach Deutschland benötigen die Studenten zusätzlich ein gültiges Visum. For entry into Germany, the students also need a valid visa. Dieses erhalten sie nur, nachdem sie eine bestimmte Geldsumme auf einem deutschen Konto (zB bei der Deutschen Bank) eingezahlt und zu Gunsten der Bundesrepublik Deutschland gesperrt haben. They can get this only after they have paid a certain sum of money on a German bank account (eg at the Deutsche Bank) and blocked in favor of the Federal Republic of Germany.

for more detail please contact

German private bank and business clients AG
Service Center Hamburg Service Center Hamburg
Special services to foreign students
Alter Wall 53
20457 Hamburg
Hotline: +49 (40) 3701-5146

More information

Blocked Account Frequently Asked Questions

What is Blocked Account (Sperrkonto in German Language)?

If you think that you can afford to finance your studies, than a Blocked Account or known in German as Sperrkonto is required.
It is required to have a minimum of 8040 Euros in your blocked account in one of the German banks and the maximum that you can withdraw is 670 Euro per month. (for more information about the exact amount – go to the Embassies websites). It is required to make this change so you will not be facing any problem in the future.
Best time to apply for a Blocked account?

So you are wondering when it is the best time to apply for a blocked account? Go apply before going to embassy, even better if you apply before taking the appointment as it is a prerequisite for Visa.
is it required to have a confirmed admission letter for Blocked account?

No. Confirmed admission letter is not required for blocked account. You can open a Blocked account before getting the admission letter.
Is this money sufficient for entire duration of study?

Eventhough it would be better if it was, the answer is No. When you arrive you need to pay your tuition fees, semester fees, and enrolling fees for enrollment at University (Including living cost, rent, and registration). If you do not have an exemption from tuition fees than the upper note is especially for you.

Semester and Registration fees (Tuition fees) can go up to 700 €, this sum is higher than your monthly limit of withdraw in your blocked account. Based on that, if you do not have enough money with you, than you will not be able to pay your tuition and semester fees.

Note: Be sure to get enough money so you would be able to pay your tuition fees and other costs. Or better, put a higher amount of money than required in your blocked account so you can withdraw a higher amount.

Semester fees and some other costs should be paid on every new semester, so keep in mind that you should have enough money on your account to cover these expenses.
PSA-UDE Tracker
Back to content